Wednesday, October 11, 2017

About that CBS person

Hayley Geftman-Gold

I really didn't want to write about the shooting because I am not in the best place mentally for it. However, this story about a CBS higher-up has caught my attention.
From Business Insider, ((If they wouldn’t do anything when children were murdered I have no hope that Repugs will ever do the right thing," Geftman-Gold wrote in comments that have since been deleted from her Facebook page. "I’m actually not even sympathetic bc country music fans often are Republican gun toters." ))
She was fired after the post from her high-powered job from CBS.
I've called out the far right when they have made insensitive remarks and the past. This is no different. Even if you felt that way, why even bother saying that just after the gunshots have just stopped? It shows a disconnect. I think things have gotten so “us vs them” that we no longer see the other side as being human. It is so sad that we're so divided as a nation. These people didn't deserve to have hundreds of bullets rained down on them. And, I can see how Hayley can't show an ounce of empathy for the victims.
Keep in mind this goes both ways. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you run them over with your car or smash them over the head with your bike lock. Something nasty has come over us as a nation when it comes to politics and identity politics. I personally want nothing from it.
I may not agree with “gun-toting REP crowds” but that doesn't mean I have to be an ass about their plight. I kind of miss the cynicism of the 90s when people really didn't take their political stances as serious as they do today.
Anyway, should she have lost her job because of her comments? I generally lean toward people not losing their jobs over bull-crap they say over social media. I honestly can't answer this one because of the total disregard for human life. I do think people, professionals, need to really rethink about sending a tweet or Facebook post when forming an opinion. However, it does bother me that there was a witch-hunt for her after her remarks as people tried to get her fired from her job.
When it comes to these type of incidents, we have to be sensitive to the situation and discuss accordingly. While I don't think people should police our thoughts and voices, we should consider how to convey thoughts. Perhaps, even show some compassion despite our political views.  

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47